So, we had a very nice Thanksgiving! Don was home on vacation all that week, he managed to get a lot of gaming in w/the boys (COD Black Ops). Thanksgiving Day, we missed our families very much, but we appreciate tremendously that they understand how difficult it is for us to host the holidays w/our house still being in such a shambles. (We're REALLY going to get this renovating done in 2011! We better!) Our close friends invited us over for Thanksgiving dinner. We thoroughly enjoyed good cooking and warm, friendly company. They are our extended family. And I cherish them so much! The kids all gathered around the tv to watch "How to Train Your Dragon" (okay, the adults gathered around the tv to watch it too!), then I took Don home to get some sleep, and the boys home to wind down and play some video games.....while I drove over to Wal-Mart to meet "my girls" (as I lovingly call them) for some midnight Black Friday shopping. Don was really looking forward to Black Friday shopping w/me, while on his vacation, so I had to disperse my shopping times and partners accordingly. ;-)
It was funny how incredibly crowded the store was at midnight. I'm not happy about stores being open on Thanksgiving Day. I miss it when some holidays were just so special, that you had to travel for miles just to find an open gas station. But now, in order to "save" the economy and keep commerce moving, stores will stay open to let shoppers spend their money. But, I admit, there were some deals at midnight that I wanted to take advantage of, so I left my family at home to get some of those good buys. However, w/in minutes of finding my friends, we all lost each other anyway, lol. I found the kitchen appliances I was looking for, then was lost in the crowd. So, I just moseyed around Wal-Mart picking up Christmas gifts for the boys. It was refreshing to experience the other shoppers being friendly and polite towards each other (for the most part at least. There was one woman who was less than thrilled that she was rear-ended by another shopper's cart, and made it quite clear, that the other woman "hurt her", no, REALLY "hurt her".....after witnessing the whole thing, it was quite laughable really, and required a major eye roll, I felt bad for the poor woman who accidentally bumped into her, she felt so bad, and kept apologizing....I was just waiting for the "victim" to call her lawyer to get a lawsuit started!!) When I'd had enough, I found my way to the end of the line and waited for an hour and 20 minutes before I was able to finally check out. On my way out to the car, I found 2 of my girls, who told me they've already been through checkout twice, lol, even made a trip home for a drop off to make room for more, lol.....apparently I got in the wrong line!! Oh well, I was done. I needed to get home and take my nap.
In bed by 2:40 am. Alarm set for 3:45. Turned off the alarm on my phone, and accidentally called Mercy, lol. They were already at JC Penneys!!! There was no nap for those poor girls. But, it sure sounds like they had a great night of being silly and hap-slappy! Don and I got up, threw our clothes on, grabbed our bag of store ads and were on our way to Target. Got there about 15 min after they opened (which was at 4 am), and realized the list of items we wanted for the door-buster deals were already all sold out. Lines were snaking around the aisles all across the store.....so we left empty handed and made our way to the next store. We got to all the stores we wanted to get deals from. Even managed to go back to Target to find at least 3 of the items we originally went for, but couldn't find previously. I was pretty excited about that. Still didn't manage to get that electronic drumset Sammy wanted, but we found everything else. Then, returned one item to K-Mart before making our way back to Wal-Mart. In the middle of all this we stopped at Sirloin Stockade (we still call it "the Fat Cow", which is what Joshua named it when he was 3, because of their big brown cow on the sign) when they opened at 8 to have breakfast w/my girls. They were sooo pooped! At that point they had made a couple trips home already to unload, and had been shopping since 11 the night before, so they were done. We left them to their wills, and continued shopping, getting home just after 12-noon. The boys were excited at the prospect of all the Christmas shopping we'd accomplished. So, they hid out of sight quite happily to allow us to bring all our wares inside for further hiding until wrapping day.
I dozed off upstairs for about 20 minutes, as I was taking Christmas inventory, while Don played some games downstairs w/the boys. Then he and I took off again to catch an afternoon movie matinee, to see "Unstoppable". I really don't remember what we did after that. I don't even remember what we did for dinner, everything started turning into a big blur at that point, lol. I was so tired!! Thanksgiving morning, I got up at 5:30, then went to the gym for my long 3 hour, extensive workout, before celebrating the holiday, then a couple itty-bitty naps, w/a long day of shopping and movies. I'm actually pretty pleased w/myself for managing to stay alert and productive those 2 days. My how things have changed in the past 2+ years!! I do actually remember bringing all the Christmas boxes down to begin my decorating that same night. But, that's where it stopped, lol. I was in bed by 11 that night, ready to start over again at the gym the next morning!
After my workout, I went out w/my girls to see Disney's "Tangled". There were 2 little girls in age and 5 little girls at heart in our group that went to see it. And I loved it sooooo much!!! I would love to see it again! When I got home that night, after having dinner w/Megan, Kimm & Katie at Perkins, I managed to put up the tree, and over the course of the past week, I've managed to get it lit and finally started hanging ornaments last night.
And, on that note, this will end my current post, to begin a new post. I hope everyone reading (all 3 of my followers, lol) had a wonderful Thanksgiving w/your own families as well. <3
No comments:
Post a Comment